The USSRC site is dedicated to guide, effectively communicate to, inform and update referees of all levels within the state. It is designed to provide a common point of reference to the vast collection of resources available to soccer referees. The resources are focused on supporting the common goals of professionalism, training, growth and service to the game.
Printing Your Own Registration Card & History
All registered Officials can go to the U.S. Soccer Federation Referee Program National Registration database to download or print their own registration card for the current year. Officials can also see their entire registration history. Instructions can be found here.
Ordering Replacement or Additional Referee Badges Online
Registered Officials can purchase additional or replacement badges online at ussoccer.data-source.biz. The cost of each badge is $3.50 plus tax and shipping and handling. A maximum of two badges may be ordered per USSF ID Number within a registration year.
Referee Reminders for Spring Season
Changes in the Laws of the Game
IFAB has made a number of significant changes to the FIFA Laws of the game for 2016 – 2017.
It is important to review and understand those changes as they are to be effective immediately. The following link contains an explanation of those change:http://www.theifab.com/document
As a reminder our pay periods are from the 11th - 25th of one month and the 26th to the 10th of the next month. Any games that have a match review completed during that pay period window will be paid for that pay period (unless of course the arbiter username and account number are not listed correctly in Affinity). For the 11th - 25th pay period payment will be made on the 30th and for the 26th - 10th pay period payment will be made on the 15th. Match Reviews must be completed for a referee to be paid. If the 15th and 30th fall on the weekend payment will be made on the Friday before the weekend.
Please make sure that your Arbiter Account Number and Arbiter Username or correctly listed in your Affinity Referee Account. If you're unsure what your Arbiter Account Number and Username are please contact Arbiter at 801-576-1251.
If you've been getting paid regularly through Refpay with no problems in past seasons then your account information is correct.
Digital Player Cards
Digital Player cards have been approved for state competition league play. This means that teams are allowed to pull up their player passes on their smart phone or tablet at the fields. Many of you are familiar with the technology if you've refereed in State Cup, Presidents Cup, Coyote Cup, or had teams that used the platform last fall season.
Teams can either use a traditional Game Day Roster for check in at a game or they can use Digital Player Cards. We will accept either for check-in. The teams are responsible for providing their own device if they want to use the digital player cards for league play. However, if you're familiar with the platform and are willing to use your smart phone or tablet you can log in to the platform as a referee and pull up the player cards for the game on your phone. Red Cards, Concussion Restrictions, or Suspensions are shown on the digital cards. Jersey Numbers, if not already entered, can be entered.
If the teams are using their phones you just need to double check that the correct game # is pulled up and then check the pictures on the phone against the players who are checking in.
If using your own device you can also log the score, cards, or any other notes about the game as soon as the game concludes. You do not have to enter scores through the digital cards platform. You can log in to affinity through your computer and score the games and complete the match review as you have the past several seasons.
Small Sided Rule Change - penalty for heading the ball inside the 18 -
6346 Modified Rules of Play
8. Law 12 – Fouls and Misconduct: Conform to US Soccer/FIFA except as follows:
a. If a player deliberately heads the ball in the field of play, except for the goal and penalty areas, an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team from the spot of the offense.
b. If a player deliberately heads the ball within the goal or penalty area, an indirect free kick is awarded and taken on the penalty area line parallel to the end line at the nearest point to where the offense occurred. The same applies if the goalkeeper punts the ball in a U-9 or U-10 age group match
So in summary if a player heads the ball outside of the 18 its a spot foul, if they head the ball inside the 18 the ball is placed on the top of the 18 parallel to the end line at the nearest point to where the offense occurred.
UYSA approved a new pay scale for our referees that went into effect Jan 1 of this year. Below is the new scale:
The fees are:
U09/U10 - $25 Center
U11-U12 - $30 Center $16 AR
U13-U14 - $35 Center $20 AR
U15-U19 - $45 Center $25 AR
New Certification Instructions for New Grade 8 & Grade 9 Referees
Those interested in becoming a referee for the first time must complete following
requirements PRIOR to attending an Entry Level clinic:
- Complete the US Soccer Grade 8 Online training modules at:
(Click Here For The Module)
Questions from the test are taken directly from those modules. DO NOT
print Certificates of Completion for the online modules. For the "Clinic Number", enter "2017”.
- Complete Concussion Training at:
(Click Here For The Module)
Print a copy of the Certification of Completion for Concussion Training. You must present the certificate to an instructor at the clinic.
- Register as a referee and pay fees PRIOR to attending the clinic at
(Click Here To Register)
Those age 14 or older must register as a Grade 8 referee.
Children between the ages of 12 and 14 must register as Grade 9 referee.
Those current Grade 9 referees who have or will have reached the age of 14 by May 1,
2017 should register as Grade 8 referees
- Print a copy of your receipt. You must present a copy of your receipt to an instructor at the Entry Level clinic.
- Sign up for an ENTRY LEVEL CLINIC by locating the clinic of your choice at
(Click Here To Sign UP), clicking on that clinic and following the instructions and link
to sign up.
- Attend the entire 10 hours of an ENTRY LEVEL CLINIC and pass the written test to
complete certification and receive a 2017 referee badge.
Please contact SRA, Scott Harward, at email@example.com with any questions or assistance
All Youth Referees Must Be Registered In Affinity And Refpay
ALL REFEREES MUST BE REGISTERED IN AFFINITY AND REFPAY to be assigned games and get paid. The instructions below are for anyone who is still not set up with RefPay, or with Affinity or have not updated your profile in Affinity with your RefPay username and account #.
A.) If you already have RefPay and Affinity accounts, you simply need to update your Affinity account profile with your RefPay username and account number
To update your profile:
Here is a YouTube video showing how to Update Your Affinity Referee Account http://youtu.be/6b7pxPmEcO4
- Go to http://uysa-referee.sportsaffinity.com/reg
- Login using your username and password (reset password if needed)
- Click the Edit button under "My Info"
- Fill in the RefPay username (same as Arbiter RefPay Username)
- Fill in your RefPay account # (same as Arbiter RefPay Account #)
- Click "Save Changes"
(If the edit process doesn't work correctly, call Holly at 801-307-5150)
B.) If you do not have a RefPay account, you first need to set one up
(If you have any problems in the process call RefPay Support at 801-576-9436)
A couple of key things to do prior to setting up a RefPay account
- Have a email address that is unique to you and not shared with any other family member that?s a referee.
- Have your Social Security Number (or Equivalent) ready along with your bank account info ready in case you use associated payment option (see info below on Payment Options)
To set up a RefPay account:
- Go to www.refpay.com
- Click on "Sign Up Today"
- Select " Sports Official" and click "next"
- Fill our registration information (this also provides info for 1099)
- In Step 5 (in RefPay) you be asked if you want to have your funds automatically transferred into your bank account when they become available. If you click yes, every time funds are transferred RefPay will charge you a convenience fee of $1.50. However, you can manually log in and transfer funds free of charge as another option. If you want the free option click "NO"
- In Step 7 you will need to setup your own username, password and pin number
- Another option for payment is through transferring funds to a Debit Card for a one-time cost of $3.95. Select this option if you want the debit card.
- Your games are not assigned through Arbiter so select "No" and ignore the following screen.
- Select the Terms and Conditions and you?re done.
- You will be taken to your home page. From here go to "Accounts and write down your username and account number for setting up an account in Affinity.
C.) If you are a brand new referee and/or have never been in the Affinity system, you need to register with Affinity:
- Go to www.uysa-referee.sportsaffinity.com
- Click "Begin Registration"
- Complete the registration
- Make sure to fill in the RefPay username (same as Arbiter RefPay Username) and your RefPay account # (same as Arbiter RefPay Account #)
- Once you have done so email Holly Gundred at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know you are registered!
D.) Referees must file report to get paid
The following video shows the game reporting process: http://youtu.be/5mh-U2ShVMw
- To ensure prompt payment, Center Referee is required to fill out a game report within 24 hrs.
- Assistant Referees can check on game report 24 hrs. after the match and if not completed, can enter scores themselves and confirm the referees
- If a report is not completed, no fees will be paid for the match.
- To report match results, log on to www.
- Match report includes:
- Score and a record of who scored the goals
- Misconducts (includes explanation in comments)
- Confirmation that the referees assigned the match showed and participated
E.) To transfer funds to your bank account, RefPay Debit Card or by check:
- Go to www.refpay.com
- Sign in
- Select "Transfer" tab on left
- Select payment option
- Fill out the request form
Ask, Tell, Dismiss
It's important for officials of all levels to know how to effectively deal with coaches and other team officials who behave poorly during a game. Watch the updated video, Ask, Tell, Dismiss, to learn more about U.S. Soccer's recommended approach for taking action towards team officials who fail to conduct themselves in a responsible manner.
Click Here to watch video.
Calendar of Events
Click Here to view the calendar in a new window.